Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Upcoming Security Conferences for 2017

There are several conferences in the South Florida (and other areas) that I plan to be at in the coming months, and am speaking or hope to be.

BSides Orlando will be April 8th, but now moved to Valencia College-West Campus.  Also different this year is this will be a one day event, but will again be right before SANS Orlando.  I will be there speaking on the topic of Risk.  This talk is aimed at the entry level security professional to help them gain a better understanding of the importance of IT Risk in what we do in security.


The South Florida ISACA Chapter will be having their 10th WOW event on Friday, April 21st.  This will be an all day event at the FIU Biscayne Campus as usual.  Registration is already open and the focus is on "Emerging Threats in Cybersecurity".  Will be there.  Had hoped to speak, but didn't happen.

HackMiami will be back with their 5th conference on May 19-21, again at the Deauville Beach Resort in Miami Beach.  I will be speaking there on the topic of Cyber Resilience.


Further out, there is of course Black Hat, DefCon, BSides out in Las Vegas from July 22-30th.  I have never been out there, and plan to go out for BSides and DefCon.  Barring any financial issues.  I am also planning to submit for BSides.  Probably submit a few of my talks and see if any get picked.  Not sure if what I speak on would be accepted at DefCon.

Interestingly, ISC(2) has moved their Security Congress event out of being co-located with ASIS's conference.  This one will be September 25-27 in Austin, TX.  To be honest, I have no plans to attend this.  I felt their event was a bit pricey.

Now, ASIS, which is more for security folks who deal with physical security then information security, will have their conference September 25-28 in Dallas, TX.  ISSA is working with them to have infosec speakers at this event.  Kind of filling the void that ISC2 left.  And again, Infragard is co-hosting their annual conference there as well.  Sounds interesting, but again, probably will not be at this event.  Just can't afford it.

ISSA will be having their 2017 International Conference in San Diego from October 9-11.  I am on the conference committee for this one again, and again submitted some talk proposals.  Unless one of my talks gets picked I'm not certain I'll go this year. [UPDATE: my talk on Cyber Resilience was picked]. I do want to go next year when it'll be in Atlanta.

Now, the only other conferences this year I look forward to is a possible Security BSides happening in Southwest Florida, where I am from.  Heard about this at BSides Tampa and the group hopes to have this in Ft Myers.  I hope to hear more about it as I'd love to be involved.  Tentative time they are aiming for is June.

Another one I should mention is BSides Jacksonville.  This is usually held in October.  I've never been to one.

If any will be at the above ones I'll be at, stop by and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment